Fermented Spiced Garlic
Fermented Spiced Garlic (Using a Starter Culture)
Packed with good bacteria with just a hint of spice
You will need:
- Garlic (around 300g or 6 small heads)
- Caldwell’s Vegan Starter Culture for Fresh Vegetables
- 1/2 Tablespoon Unrefined Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Spices
- 2 Jars
- 100ml Unchlorinated Water (room temperature)
Many brands of bottled water are unchlorinated, as is filtered water if you use a filter jug. Alternatively, can you try boiling and aerating tap water or leaving tap water to stand for 24 hours.
- In a bowl, mix the salt with 200ml unchlorinated water to make a brine.
- In another bowl dissolve the Caldwell’s Vegan Starter Culture for Fresh Vegetables in 200ml room temperature unchlorinated water and let the solution sit for 8-10 minutes to activate the starter bacteria.
- Whilst you’re waiting for the culture to activate, fill both of your square jars with garlic up to the shoulder of the jars.
- Add the spice mix to the jars (if desired).
- Mix the two bowls of water together and fill both jars with the mixture up to the shoulder of the jars, making sure to cover all of the garlic.
- Mix everything together for a couple of minutes to make sure your two solutions are combined.
- Pack down the garlic to reduce as much air in the jar as possible. Make sure the garlic remains submerged in the brine. (Tip: The best way to do this is to use other vegetables to weigh your garlic down. You can use a thick slice of carrot or potato as well as cabbage leaves).
- Seal the lid and let it ferment for around 2 weeks at room temperature and out of direct sunlight.
- You may need to “burp” your solution every 1 or 2 days for the first week to avoid the build-up of pressure in the jar. To do this simply unseal the lid to release any gas (your mixture will bubble and fizzle slightly), then reseal.
- After 2 weeks, transfer your jar to the fridge (or a consistently cold place) and let it cure for a further 6 weeks.
Consume within 3 months
Why use a fermenting culture?
We like to use the Caldwell’s Vegan Starter Culture for Fresh Vegetables to help stabilise the ferment of our vegetables. The Caldwell’s culture adds essential, good bacteria to the ferment which limits the risk of wild or harmful bacteria developing. Adding good bacteria straight away also helps to speed up the fermentation process.